Be Aware and Prepare
Preparedness and awareness are keys to keeping you, your family and your business safe. These resources can help you stay informed and give first responders the information they need to assist you.
Sign up for alert notifications
Calvert County’s emergency notification system allows officials to contact county residents in the event of an emergency situation such as power outages, missing persons, weather updates, water and sewer service disruptions and gas line breaks.
The system employs mapping capability for geographic targeting of calls coupled with a high-speed telephone system capable of delivering pre-recorded messages directly to homes and businesses via telephone, cell phone, text and email messages.
In order to successfully reach residents, it is recommended that each household have a plug-in, non-portable phone in the event of power outages. In the event of extended power outages, the system is used to provide updates and broadcast emergency information such as warming center locations and mass care shelter activation.
Residents and businesses with landline telephone numbers have already been included in the system. You may use the registration link to include additional ways to contact you. All information you provide will be kept strictly confidential.
We encourage all residents of Calvert County to register to receive messages by visiting our registration web site.
Download the emergency mobile app
CalvertPrepare is an interactive app designed to allow county residents, businesses and visitors to access emergency information, alerts and preparedness guidance on the go. This app is NOT meant to be used to report emergency situations. If you experience an emergency please dial 911!
The app includes emergency alerts, local weather and power outages, storm-related closures, social media, traffic updates, Emergency Management contact information, preparedness guidance and an interactive emergency kit checklist. This app is intended to be utilized as an addition to your primary means of emergency notification. Technical and cell phone service issues may prevent you from receiving alerts and other notifications in a timely manner.
Citizens are encouraged to download "CalvertPrepare" now for iOS (Apple) and Android devices for free through the Apple App Store or Google Play.
Some of the many features of the app include:
- Alerts for actual emergencies that scroll across the screen
- A weather section providing information based on users’ geographical locations along with guidance on how to respond to the weather conditions
- Information on traffic, shelters, school closings and power outages
- An "I’m OK" feature allowing users to send messages to loved ones—when phone systems are clogged in an emergency—letting them know their status during an emergency
- A "Where Am I" feature that can send the user’s exact location to any recipient via text, email, Facebook or Twitter
Provide a safety profile for 911 call takers
Calvert County has partnered with Smart911 and Smart911 Facility, free online services that allow individuals, families and businesses to automatically provide vital information to 911 call takers during an emergency.
- Residents: Address details, medical information, pets and other members of the household, vehicle details, emergency contacts, etc.
- Businesses: Buildings within your campus, alarm locations and contacts, utility shutoff locations, points of contact and property owner information, floor plans, etc.
All information is optional and citizens and businesses have the ability to choose what details to include. Smart911 and Smart911 Facility information is used only for emergency responses and is only made available to the 911 system in the event of an emergency call.
Provide information on those with special needs
Calvert County Emergency Management maintains a special needs registry to assist individuals who may require evacuation in the event of an emergency. Anyone who has unique needs that hinder or prevent them from taking protective actions on their own should sign up for the special needs registry. Placement on the registry gives first responders critical information they need to help those who require special assistance during an emergency.