News Flash

County News and Highlights

Posted on: November 4, 2021

Planning & Zoning Resources for Residents Recovering from Flood and Storm Damage


The Department of Planning & Zoning reminds residents that certain repairs from flooding and storm damage may require permits to ensure the safety of repairs. Obtaining permits and inspections reduces potential hazards of unsafe construction and provides for the health, safety and welfare of residents and the environment. 

Citizens whose property was damaged from flooding during the storm Thursday, Oct. 28 through Sunday, Oct. 31 are encouraged to reach out to Planning & Zoning staff for questions and assistance with permits by calling 410-535-1600, ext. 2552, or emailing

  • Do I need a permit? Residents can view a guide to what types of work require permits on the Calvert County website at
  • Pier damage: Piers and other water-dependent facilities or structures require approval from the Maryland Department of the Environment. For questions regarding in-kind work, please contact Calvert County Environmental Planning Regulator Ronald Marney at
  • Hazard trees: Any tree damaged in the storm that is in danger of falling and poses a risk to people or structures can be deemed a “hazard tree.” Take a photo of the damaged tree, remove the tree, then apply for a tree removal permit within seven days.

For residents who have experienced flood damage, documentation is an important first step in the recovery process. Visit for a documentation and recovery guide provided by the Federal Emergency Management Agency. 

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in County News and Highlights