The Department of Parks & Recreation announces changes to parks use following Gov. Larry Hogan’s announcement broadening permitted outdoor recreational activities. Statewide limitations on gatherings, physical distancing measures and other protective health guidelines remain in place in order to continue reducing the spread of COVID-19.
Chesapeake Hills Golf Course will reopen Thursday, May 7 at 9 a.m. Golf carts will be available for use but limited to one cart per person except individuals living in the same household. Modified policies and procedures for golfers and staff have been implemented to comply with distancing requirements and protective guidelines to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission. The course is open to all users.
The use of the below county parks and facilities remains limited to Calvert County residents only until further notice.
- Flag Ponds Nature Park beach will reopen Friday, May 8 with regular operating hours. The beach will be open for outdoor exercise activities, such as walking, running, or other individual and small group fitness activities. The park entrance fee for Flag Ponds Nature Park is waived until further notice.
- Breezy Point Beach will reopen Friday, May 8 with regular operating hours. The beach will be open for outdoor exercise activities, such as walking, running, or other individual and small group fitness activities. The park entrance fee for Breezy Point Beach will be waived until Friday, May 15.
- Breezy Point Campground will open for daily camping beginning Sunday, May 17. Parks & Recreation will begin taking campsite reservations Monday, May 11. For more information about Breezy Point Beach and Campground, please visit www.CalvertCountyMd.gov/BreezyPoint.
- Tennis/pickleball courts at county parks will reopen Thursday, May 7. Reservations are encouraged. To reserve a tennis court, contact the Office of Sports, Community & Well-being at 410-535-1600, ext. 2229.
Residents are advised that public restrooms, port-a-potties and water fountains at county parks will remain out of service until further notice. In addition:
- The following amenities are closed until further notice: skate parks, dog parks, basketball courts, ball fields, playgrounds, pavilions.
- Gathering of groups are limited to no more than 10 people.
- Capacity at each park will be adjusted to maintain social distancing.
- Patrons will not be allowed to wait at a park gate to gain entry once capacity is reached.
- Recreation activities such as walking, hiking, running or biking are permitted while adhering to 6-foot social distancing measures.
- Users must provide the following information to park staff upon arrival: including name, county of residence, number of people in vehicle / party.
The county continues to share the latest updates surrounding Calvert County’s response to COVID-19 through a virtual resource center on its website, including any precautionary measures, guidance and closures at www.CalvertCountyMd.gov/Coronavirus. Updates will continue to appear on the Calvert County Government website, www.CalvertCountyMd.gov, Facebook page at www.facebook.com/CalvertCountyMd and Comcast Channel 6.