Plumbing / Gas


  • All gas work requires a permit and inspection.
    1. This includes all new installations of any gas appliance. 
    2. Replacement of any gas appliance, some examples. 
        • Water heater 
        • Furnace
        • Fireplace
        • Range top or stove
        • Gas dryer
        • Gas logs
        • Outside gas grills if attached to natural or propane gas
        • Outside gas fire pits
        • Pool heaters
        • Generator 
  • Permits and inspections are for your protection. Failure to obtain a permit and inspection for a gas appliance could result in your insurance company denying a claim in the future. 


  • All new construction, additions and/or remodeling involving plumbing requires a permit. 
  • Replacement of underground water service or sewer.
  • Any major replacement of water or waste piping concealed in the wall or ceiling. 
  • Installation or replacement of appurtenances such as 
    1. Water heaters (gas or electric)
    2. Water softeners 
    3. Backflow devices for fire sprinkler, lawn irrigation, etc. 
      • Backflow devices must be installed and tested by a plumber who is certified to do so. 
      • All testable Backflow devices also require annual testing by a qualified plumber. 
      • Non-testable devices should be replaced or rebuilt every five years.

Backflow preventers are designed to keep contaminants out of your drinking water. Nobody wants to wake up to a steaming cup of fertilizer in the morning. That is one example of what can happen when a backflow preventer is not installed properly or not installed at all. 

The low price you may receive when hiring unlicensed contractors or when a contractor tells you a permit is not necessary and not getting one can save you a lot of money sounds good upfront, but the costs you may incur in the future could be far more than doing the job right the first time. Without a permit and inspection, the contractor can cut corners and you would have no idea till possibly years in the future. You also have little or no recourse against the contractor, especially if they are unlicensed or don’t have the required insurance. 

Things you can do to protect yourself and your property

  • Always hire a licensed/ insured contractor.
  • Ask for their Calvert County license number. 
  • Ask for a contract that spells out what the contractor is going to do. 
  • Insist on permits and inspections. 
  1. Andrew R. Stirling

    Plumbing Inspector
    Phone: 410-535-1600, ext. 2251

  1. John Vitale

    Plumbing Inspector
    Phone: 410-535-1600, ext. 2365