Request a Proclamation, Citation or Letter
Thank you for reaching out to the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC). The BOCC provides citations, proclamations and letters of greeting as a service to Calvert County residents or businesses to honor and celebrate people, groups and events or to increase awareness of noteworthy issues among citizens across Calvert County. These public service documents are strictly honorary and are not legally binding. All requests are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis by the County Administrator.
We have come up with a new procedure for citations, letters of greeting and proclamations. Please carefully read the below definitions before submitting a request.
- Proclamation: A proclamation is issued for a day, week or month to bring awareness to an issue, event or celebration (Flag Day, National Bike to Work Week, First Responder Appreciation Month). Proclamations are given during Board of County Commissioner Meetings and are livestreamed to the public.
- Citation: A citation is issued to recognize a notable achievement such as an anniversary, grand opening, milestone birthday (70+ years), Boy Scout Eagle Award, Girl Scout Gold Award or retirement. Citations can be picked up, mailed or in some cases presented by a County Commissioner at an event. This is based on Commissioner availability.
- Letter of Greeting: A letter of greeting is given to help organizations celebrate special events held in Calvert County. These typically include business and professional conferences, cultural festivals, non-profit fundraising benefits and other significant events
- Letters are only for Calvert County agencies and organizations, or national and international organizations holding conferences, and other significant events in Calvert County.
- Letters are not for personal events such as family reunions.
To submit a request for a citation, proclamation or letter of greeting, please review the Guidelines and Procedures below and then submit the appropriate completed request form.
- Proclamations should recognize a day, week or month. The County Administrator and Deputy County Administrator reserves the right to deny any request.
- Proclamations are issued for one date only per request for each calendar year.
- Proclamations are not issued to honor individuals; this request would qualify for a citation or letter of greeting.
- Proclamations are not issued for anniversaries (of businesses, individuals, or groups), birthdays, or retirements. These requests would qualify for a citation or letter of greeting.
- Proclamations are not automatically renewed. Requests must be made on an annual basis by filling out the online form.
- Any draft language submitted may be edited or revised without notice at the discretion of the Communications and Media Relations Department.
- A request for any items that are similar to already issued proclamations will be denied.
- All requests must be submitted using the electronic form on the county website. All phone call requests will be guided to complete this form before the creation process begins.
- All requests must be submitted 30 days before the requested delivery date. We cannot guarantee that requests will be honored if it is received less than 30 days before the requested delivery date.