- Volunteer Boards and Commissions
- H - Z
- Veterans Affairs Commission
Veterans Affairs Commission
The Veteran Affairs Commission serves in an advisory capacity to the Board of County Commissioners on programs, polices, and initiatives affecting the veterans of Calvert County.
“All Calvert County veterans are receiving the benefits and services to which they are entitled.”
“To advocate for all Calvert County veterans and their families while fostering a spirit of fellowship for veterans in our community.”
- Board of County Commissioners shall appoint nine (9) voting members, each of whom has separated from the military service under honorable conditions. Of the nine (9) members:
- One (1) member shall be an owner or operator of a local business;
- One (1) member shall be an educator or educational administrator;
- Three (3) members shall be at-large; and
- Four (4) members shall be members of the American Legions within Calvert County, with one (1) member from each of the following Legions:
- American Legion Post 206;
- American Legion Post 220;
- American Legion Post 274; and
- American Legion Post 85.
- The Board of County Commissioners shall designate the following non-voting members, who will be considered ex officio:
- The Director of Stateside Military Operations of University of Maryland Global Campus, or their designee;
- The Veterans Affair Coordinator of College of Southern Maryland, or their designee; and
- A member of the Board of County Commissioners, or their designee
Members shall be appointed for 3-year terms and no Commission member shall be eligible to serve more than three (3) consecutive full terms.
For more information, refer to Resolution 13-21 Pertaining to the Creation of the Veterans Affairs Commission.
Ex Officio Members
- Christian Zimmermann, M.A., M.B.A., College of Southern Maryland Veterans Affairs Coordinator
- Dr. Nicole DeRamus, University of Maryland Global Campus, Att. VP, Veterans Programs, Dept. of Stateside Military Operations
- Meg Faller, Veteran Liaison
Calvert County Library
- The Veterans Affairs Commission complies with the Open Meetings Act.
- Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month at 5 p.m. in the Community Resources Building, 30 Duke Street, Prince Frederick, MD, Extension Service Conference Room. Agendas and Minutes are available here Open Meetings Open Meetings Open Meetings Open Meetings Open Meetings Open Meetings Open Meetings Open Meetings .
Summary of VAC Highlights and Accomplishments
- Conducted a survey of Calvert County Veterans to gauge the areas of greatest need
- Obtained discounted transit fares for Calvert County veterans
- Monitored veteran-related legislative activity and advocated for Calvert County to adopt Veteran Tax Credits for less than 100% disabled veterans
- Met with veteran-serving groups/individuals including Calvert Hospice, Christmas in April, Greenwell Foundation, Carroll County Veterans Services, Secretary George Owings, Maryland Department of Veterans Affairs
- Reviewed and updated the Veterans Resource Guide, established electronic access with a QR code featured on promotional business cards.
- Provided Community Outreach at the Calvert County Fair and other Veteran events
- Served as catalyst for Economic Development to Create a Veteran Owned Small Business Directory
- Participate in Operation Green Light, National Veteran-Owned Small Business Week and other local Veterans Day observances
- Feasibility study for Veteran Service Officer (VSO) to serve Calvert County
- Continue to monitor legislation and finalize the proposal to the BOCC for Veterans Tax Credits
- Work with State's Attorney Robert Harvey to ensure that local courts identify veterans entering the legal system and provide them with appropriate supports
- Partner with Calvert Library to host monthly veteran workshops on a variety of topics (benefits, claims, employment, education) beginning in 2023
- The VAC meets on the second Wednesday of each month, 5:00 to 6:30 p.m., at the Community Resources Building, Extension Service Conference Room, 30 Duke Street, Suite 105, Prince Frederick, MD 20678.
- VAC CCG Staff Liaison, Lorraine Joyner Lorraine Joyner, 410-535-1600, ext. 8803.
- General Info: firstname.lastname@example.org