COVID-19 Local Resources for Citizens


Where can I get information about COVID-19 in Maryland? 

  • Maryland Department of Health:
  • Calvert County Health Department:
  • CalvertHealth Community Hotline: COVID-19 - 410-535-8469 - Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Provides guidance about COVID-19 testing criteria following guidance from the Maryland Department of Health and when to seek medical care. The hotline is not a substitute for medical advice from your primary care provider.
  • For anyone who would like to be tested for COVID-19 due to recent onset of possible viral symptoms or possible exposure to someone with COVID, the Calvert County Health Department encourages you to contact your primary care provider. For information about testing sites in your area, please visit: 

What if I don’t have healthcare? 

  • Maryland Health Connection ( opened a new special enrollment period for uninsured Marylanders. The coronavirus emergency special enrollment period ends Wednesday, July 15. Coverage begins July 1, 2020, regardless of when a health plan is selected during that time period. 
  • To enroll, you can visit or download the free “Enroll MHC” mobile app. When enrolling, you should request or select “Coronavirus Emergency Special Enrollment Period.” This enrollment period is for new enrollments of uninsured Marylanders who are eligible, not an opportunity for currently enrolled consumers to change plans. Free consumer assistance is available from Maryland Health Connection Connector Entity Seedco local Navigators by calling 855-339-3007 weekdays 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. The Maryland Health Connection call center is also available to assist by calling 855-642-8572 weekdays from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Deaf and hard of hearing use Relay. Help is available in more than 200 languages.

Back to top of page


Prescription Delivery

Most pharmacies will deliver over-the-counter medicine such as pain killers/fever reducers, cough drops, cold medicine, vitamins and allergy medicine. Make sure to check that the pharmacy accepts your medical insurance.

Local pharmacies that deliver:

  • Walgreens (Inside CalvertHealth)
    110 Hospital Road, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
  • CVS (Store #10606)
    7955 Bayside Drive, Chesapeake Beach, MD 20732
  • CVS (Store #1881)
    10095 Ward Road, Dunkirk, MD 20754
  • CVS (Store #2118)
    13390 HG Trueman Road, Solomons Island, MD 20688
  • Lusby Pharmacy (Delivers to Lusby area only)
    11870 HG Trueman Road, Lusby, MD 20657

Other pharmacy companies that deliver:

  • RevolutionMeds:
  • PillPack from Amazon:

Back to top of page


Food Delivery

  • Grubhub  or DoorDash are available, which allow you to order locally through a restaurant of your choice.
  • Instacart provides grocery delivery using personal shoppers at local grocery and market chains:
  • New Life Church is offering a free “SHOP FOR SENIORS” program to help seniors with groceries & prescriptions they cannot retrieve themselves. 

Grocery delivery is available at the following establishments:

  • Bowen’s Grocery
    4300 Hunting Creek Road, Huntingtown, MD 20639
    Phone: 410-257-2222
  • Nick’s of Calvert
    930 Costley Way, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
    Phone: 410-414-7105
  • Peapod by Giant
    655 Solomons Island Road North, Prince Frederick, MD 20678
    Phone: 410-535-5641
  • Peapod by Giant
    11740 Rousby Hall Road, Lusby, MD 20657
    Phone: 410-394-2160
  • Safeway
    10276 Southern Maryland Blvd., Dunkirk, MD 20754
    Phone: 301-855-3765

Please call store locations for hours of operation.

Food Pantries

Most food pantries are still in operation. Before visiting the food bank/pantry, call to see if their operating hours or practices have changed. Some allow food to be delivered to your home, instead of picking it up directly. If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, please let the food pantry know so they can take proper precautions. For a list of food pantries visit:

Food for School-Age Children & Youth

  • End Hunger In Calvert County, working through local food pantry partners, will distribute a FREE supply of breakfasts and lunches called Kid’s Kits. Chesapeake Cares Food Pantry in Huntingtown, will have these kits available for community pick-ups on their lower level porch (drive around back), from 9:00 AM to Noon on Mondays and Fridays. See website or call for details.
  • Helping Hands Food Pantry, NewLife Calvert Church on 231, is providing Kid’s Kits for pick-up. 
  • In conjunction with End Hunger, the following sites are providing breakfast and lunch (shelf stable) for two days. The child does not need to be present for pick-up and items can be picked up by families or friends of family. Pick-up is at the following locations:

    • Chesapeake Cares Food Pantry
      6045 Solomons Island Rd, Prince Frederick
      Monday and Friday, 9 a.m. to noon
    • New Life Food Pantry
      3710 German Chapel Rd, Prince Frederick
      Mondays, 4-6 p.m.
    • Boys & Girls Clubs of Southern Maryland
      9021 Dayton Avenue in North Beach
      Monday and Friday, 10 a.m. to Noon (first come, first served) each week until school reopens.
      E-mail or or leave a message at 410-257-0007 if you need a kit.
  • St John Vianney Interfaith Food Pantry, Wednesdays 3 to 6 p.m. and second Saturday 3-6 p.m.
    Because of Easter, the April Saturday Food Pantry has been moved to April 4 from 3-6 p.m.
  • During COVID-19 closures, free multi-day meals for youth ages 18 and under will be available at the following locations, Mondays and Wednesdays, 11:00 a.m. to noon at the following locations:

    • Windy Hill Middle Bus Drop Off
    • Calvert High Parking Lot
    • Southern Middle Parking Lot
    • Patuxent High Parking Lot

 Visit for a site near you.

Back to top of page

Goods & Services

What stores and services are open?

Essential services such as banks/commerce, pharmacies, hospitals and grocery stores will still provide service, but hours of operation may be adjusted.

Online Services 

Many stores have online shopping available for you to have household goods shipped directly to your home. Take advantage of these services to receive household goods while you’re at home.

Ask for help! You can ask a neighbor or family member who is able to go out to pick up items for you and leave them at your door.

Back to top of page


Homeless Services

If you’re experiencing homelessness, please call the Department of Social Services at 443-550-6900 to be directed to services. If you currently receive services and you’re experiencing any symptoms or if you have any concerns, contact your shelter or agency directly. Each place of service has their own infectious disease operation plan.

Back to top of page


Emergency Assistance

  • More information on financial assistance will be provided in the coming days. Gov. Larry Hogan issued an executive order (March 16, 2020) to stop all utility shut offs and late fees. The governor also stopped all evictions during this time.
  • If you’re in need of emergency assistance, please contact the Department of Social Services for assistance and assessment at 443-550-6900. 
  • Customers can apply for benefits, check their benefits and update their information by going to their “myDHR” account. (
  • Customers due for benefit redetermination of supplemental nutrition, temporary cash assistance, and child care will be extended through the end of April.

  • Pandemic Electronic Benefit Transfer (P-EBT) provides food benefits to children who have temporarily lost access to free or reduce-priced meals at school due to COVID-19. View the P-EBT flyer (PDF) for more information.

For answers to frequently asked emergency assistance questions, click here.


  • For workers who have lost their job or have reduced hours and meet the program’s expanded eligibility requirements, unemployment claims are being processed by phone; call 410-949-0022 Monday - Friday, 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. For info on how to make a claim, visit 
  • Unemployment bulk claims from companies can be submitted to DLLR is working on extending the number of allowable weeks for unemployment. Any permitting, licensing renewals, etc. are being deferred to 30 days after the State of Emergency declaration is lifted.

Information for Businesses

The Calvert County Department of Economic Development is available to assist local business owners. View a full list of available resources on 

Income Taxes

  • The deadline to file federal taxes has been extended to July 15. For more information about COVID-19 tax relief, visit
  • On March 17, 2020, Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot announced that Maryland business and individual income taxpayers would have a 90-day extension of the April 15 tax deadline. No interest or penalty for late payments will be imposed if 2019 tax payments are made by July 15, 2020.

Social Security 

The local Social Security Office based in Charlotte Hall is closed, however individuals should contact 888-866-5181 for their call center and visit for services available online.

Credit Reports

Experian, Equifax & TransUnion are offering free weekly online credit reports through April 2021 using the following link

Back to top of page

Consumer Protection

Back to top of page

Childcare for Essential Personnel

Designated essential personnel may find child care programs using LOCATE: Child Care, a free service available by phone Monday through Friday at 877-261-0060 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:00 p.m. Specialized services for parents of children with special needs, as well as Spanish language, are also available on these platforms. The child care programs established by the State are at no cost to designated essential personnel only. Children attending the State-funded child care programs will be kept an appropriate distance from each other with ratios of a minimum of 1 teacher and 9 children for school-age with smaller class sizes for younger children. Parents are strongly urged to keep children at home as the first and best option to protect them from the virus.

Three Easy Steps to Finding Child Care (FOR ESSENTIAL PERSONNEL ONLY)

  1. Check this list to see if there is child care near your home or work and contact the provider directly.
  2. If you don’t see a child care provider that meets your needs, call the trained LOCATE: Child Care Referral Specialists to help you select the best child care option for your family at (Toll-Free) 877-261-0060.
  3. Download these four (4) forms, complete and take to the provider of your choice:

Back to top of page

Families with Newborns and Young Children

Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC)

  • All Maryland WIC offices are closed to the public and all WIC services are being offered by telephone. Re-certifications for current WIC clients have been extended. WIC is accepting applications at or call 1-800-242-4942.


  • CareNet services are only at their office at 21562 Thames Ave. in Lexington Park.
  • They are distributing formula, diapers and wipes (no clothing) on the following schedule: Monday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Wednesday 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Schedules may be re-evaluated; call (301) 737-4604 first. 
    • On Wednesday, March 25, CareNet will be providing grab and go diapers, wipes, baby food and formula from their van at:
      - Southern Calvert Baptist Church, 12140 HG Trueman Road, Lusby
      10 a.m. to Noon
      - Calvert County Baptist Church, 2190 Solomons Island Road South, Prince Frederick
      1 p.m. to 3 p.m. 
    • Wednesday, April 8, CareNet will be providing grab and go diapers, wipes, baby food and formula from their van at:
      • Southern Calvert Baptist Church, 12140 HG Trueman Road, Lusby, 2-2:45 p.m.
      • Calvert County Sheriff’s Office Overflow Parking, 30 Church Street, Prince Frederick, 3:15-3:30 p.m.
  • Clients can continue to take their education classes online to accumulate points which can be used for things like cribs and car seats.


  • Hours will be Tuesday 6-8:30 p.m. and Wednesday 5-8 p.m. at 301 Steeple Chase Dr. #405, Prince Frederick
  • Birthright will continue to give formula, diapers, wipes and clothing, and will allow return requests BEFORE two weeks if they need supplies until the immediate crisis is over.
  • Newborn layettes can be given prior to the birth of the baby.

Back to top of page



The General Election will be held November 2, 2020, 7 am until 8 pm. Early Voting for the General Election - Thursday, October 22, 2020 through Thursday, October 29, 2020 from 8 am until 8 pm. For the 2020 General Election, you can vote in person during early voting or on election day or by absentee ballot. More information will be posted at

Any registered voter may vote by absentee ballot, but must re-register for absentee voting for each election. Maryland does not have a permanent absentee list. If you wish to vote by absentee ballot, you must apply for an absentee ballot each primary and general election cycle

  • For the 2020 GENERAL Election, your request must be received (not just mailed) by:
    • Tuesday, Oct. 27, 2020, if you want to receive your ballot by mail or fax
    • Friday, Oct. 30, 2020, if you want to download your ballot from the State’s website

Note: If you were born between April 29, 2002 and Nov. 3, 2002 and live in the 7th Congressional District, you may vote in the Presidential Primary and General Elections. You may not vote in the special elections.

Back to top of page


Free Online Resources

Back to top of page


To receive text updates from the Governor regarding COVID-19, text “MdReady” to 898211.

Free Internet Access

  • Comcast will be offering free service at its Xfinity hotspots for 60 days. The access points are mostly in public locations but some are in small businesses.
  • Comcast will offer low-income families who live within Comcast’s service areas 60 days of free “Internet Essentials” service, one of its lowest cost programs. Internet Essentials normally costs $9.95 per month. To qualify: Be an eligible “qualified low-income household.” Go to or call 855-846-8376 for English or call 855-765-6995 for Spanish. All new customers will receive “a free self-install kit” with no shipping fee.
  • Calvert Library in Prince Frederick has bolstered the building’s WiFi to provide a stronger signal to the parking lot/outdoor area for library customers to use.

Phone Service Late Fees

  • Starting July 1, Verizon customers who signed up will automatically be enrolled in the Stay Connected repayment program to provide options to stay connected.  

Tools for Staying Social

  • The traditional phone call or e-mail could be very helpful to remain connected to your loved ones. You can also text or use video-messaging services such as FaceTime, Skype, Google Hangouts and Facebook Messenger.
  • If you’re an older adult, you can sign up for a daily call from the Maryland Department of Aging at or 1-866-50-CHECK. Someone will call you each day to make sure you’re well and share important information.

Back to top of page

Mental Health

Coping with stress will make you, the people you care about and your community stronger. These resources from the CDC provide some tools to help:

Remember: If you or someone you care about are feeling overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression or anxiety:

  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 (TTY 1-800-846-8517)
  • Text TalkWithUs to 66746
  • Calvert County 24/7 Crisis Helpline: 410-535-1121 or 301-855-1075
  • If you’re in immediate risk of harm or if there’s a threat of harm from others, call 911

Back to top of page

Animal Care

Pet Care

If you’re concerned about providing for your pets, call your veterinarian for more information or the Linda L. Kelley Animal Shelter at 410-535-7387. The shelter is closed to the public, but staff can answer questions.

Back to top of page


  • Individuals who are at risk according to CDC guidelines are encouraged to stay home, rather than volunteer.
  • The United Way of Calvert County  is organizing volunteers for the food pantries and meal deliveries. To sign up to volunteer during this time, call the United Way of Calvert County at 410-535-2000.
  • Donate blood through the American Red Cross. The country is facing a severe blood shortage due to blood drive cancellations. Make an appointment to help patients counting on lifesaving blood.
  • North Beach residents in need of assistance or wanting to volunteer can call 301-855-6681 or email .

Back to top of page


Back to top of page