Biscoe Gray Heritage Farm
- A Park Brochure (PDF) is available; it includes the new trail map.
- Public Deer Hunting . Specific information about hunting at Biscoe Gray Heritage Farm and the State Department of Natural Resources Southern Region Public Hunting Permit and Reservation System is available online or by phone at the Myrtle Grove office at 301-743-5161. Additional details about hunting opportunities in Calvert County can be found on on the Calvert Parks website
- Interpretive Signs. Funded through a grant from the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority, new signs, benches, even a picnic area, will be added to the farm. New hiking trails will be created to take visitors to some of the interesting natural areas of the farm.
- George E. Rice House and Outbuildings. The house in the woods was built between 1915-1938 by Mr. Rice, and African American farmer. A grant from the African American Heritage Preservation Fund was used to rehabilitate the buildings. During the restoration, iron objects were found under the doorways and corners of the outbuildings.These artifacts represent a new story to be told, to explore and understand the role African American culture and traditions and spirituality played in home building.
- Archaeologists from St. Mary’s College of Maryland tested an important Native American archaeological site. Overlooking Battle Creek, the site appears to have been occupied from as early as ca. 200 CE until 1300 CE. The archaeological investigations at Biscoe Gray were funded by a very generous grant from the National Park Service.
The investigations yielded thousands of fragments of oyster shell, stone artifacts, and ceramic vessel fragments. Perhaps the most exciting find consisted of a linear series of post molds presumably associated with long-vanished architecture at the site. These post molds, ranging from 3 to 4 inches in diameter, were spaced approximately 8 inches apart. Architecture from these early centuries is relatively rare in the Chesapeake. Its presence at Biscoe Gray Heritage Farm enhances the historical significance of the park. Read More... (PDF)
For information call the Natural Resources Division Office: 410-535-5327
A free permit is required prior to bringing horses onto the property. Online Permit registration.
Dogs on leash allowed.
Rules and Regulations